Monday, May 25, 2009

Play day # 2


Hi there and welcome to day two of the holiday weekend. I decided to take Sunday off due to the immense amount of rain we received and it was kinda cold too. Yah I know, I'm a wimp. Today I decided to head to the mountains east of Logan and run some of my old favorite trails. Well, to my surprise, all of them were still closed. I went further east and finally found 2 trails that were open and headed out. The temperature was about 45 degrees so I did have the heater on. The first trail I ran was the Beaver Creek trail. This is the trail to the old airplane wreck as well as the one I always see moose on. No moose today. I ran it into Idaho before I encountered a snow drift I wasn't ready to try alone. So, I flipped a u-turn and headed back down. The creek was more like a river and was over flowing in a lot of places. One thing I found very interesting were the beaver dams. 95% of them were holding just fine against the current. Kind of amazing. The foto below shows the creek going over the top but it holding. Dam fine engineers!
The next trail was the Franklin Basin trail. It was in better shape and I also followed it in to Idaho. The 2nd foto shows a cabin that is up the canyon almost to Idaho. It sits in a quiet valley and would be an awesome thing to own. My only problem with it is the location of the out house. It has to be 100 yards from the house. Now that's OK on a warm summer night, but, on a cold fall or winter night.... its gonna suck big time. I think I would invest in indoor plumbing and a septic tank. Just my opinion though. I continued following the trail till once again I came to a snow drift I wasn't ready to try alone. Someday I would like to find some friends who own 4x4's and love to use them. Oh well, maybe some day. I did talk to a Forrest service rep who told me the good trails wont open till they dry out. Its gonna be a long time happening with the weather we have been having. I guess I will have to learn patience....... yah like that's gonna happen! Jeep on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!