Monday, July 30, 2012

A proud day for a father, or, Samantha kicks ass!

Welcome to day 2 of our adventures.Today was the day to run Black Bear pass from Red mtn to Telluride. We got a very late start today due to the fact we all slept in. So, instead of an 7am departure, we left around 8:30. Not a big deal, but it did keep us from reaching our 14000' goal...... this has to do with my nephew so ya...... Anyway, we blew thru Ouray and headed up to Red mountain pass  where the trail began. We took a brief detour and went up the left hand fork of the trail so I could check something out I had seen 12 years ago. This sign greeted us and of course we ignored it. The trail wasn't as bad as the sign said it was, but I'm sure a beginner wouldn't have enjoyed the challenge as we did. 
My goal for this side trip was to check out a foto I took years ago of a waterfall. I had to see where it came from. By the way, I have a thing for water falls. Anyway, I didn't find the source because the trail ended and quite frankly, I'm in no shape to hike further up the mountain. The incredible thing about these mountains is the water falls. They are everywhere and range in size from tiny garden hose types to huge, wow, this is awesome! This little guy was one I liked so I decided to share it with you. The foto doesn't do it credit, but you can kinda see what I mean. We left the side trip and headed back down the trail to the main road and began our ascent to Black Bear pass. An interesting side note is that up there, at well over 11000 feet, there were herds of sheep. Never saw that before..... go figure.

We arrived at the summit and looked down to Telluride sitting about a mile below us. This is Sam and Bob posing for the camera. Up to now the trail was fairly easy, but the best was about to come... or should I say the worst? I dunno, its a fun trail that makes you keep your attention on the trail and nothing else
 I kept our pace slow, not to delay the crazy ride ahead, but to keep snapping fotos of water falls. I shot this one using the telephoto lens and again, the foto doesn't do it justice. We arrived at the section of the trail called the stairs. I was driving one handed and using the other one to take video with my Iphone.  Not a good idea but what the hell. Maybe when I figure out how to add video to posts I will share them with you. Sam did and awesome job  crawling down the stairs
 There isn't a spot to stop in this section so all I got was her making the 90 degree turn at the end of them. Next up was the 26 or so switch backs. A lot of the switch backs are hard to hike, let alone drive a vehicle thru, but Sam again, took charge and kicked some ass. She ended up on 2 wheels on one of them and I actually had my camcorder  out for it. But I really think I messed up and had it on pause. I wont know for sure till I get home and finalize the disc. For me, that was the only moment of the whole trip I was actually nervous. But, being the great little Jeeper she is, she took it all in stride and made it down the mountain. YOU ROCK BABY GIRL!
The most famous water fall over here is Bridal Veil falls. I don't remember how high it is, but its spectacular to see. I shot this one from high above it just to give you an idea how big it is. The building there by it was/is a hydro electric power plant. Don't quote me, but I have read somewhere that it was the 1st generating plant of this type west of the Mississippi river. I also have heard that its still in use today. The road to drive to the plant it self is gated so you  have to walk to see it up close, but due to time issues we passed it by and went into town. We ate lunch at an expensive pizza place, and to be quite honest.... it sucked! After lunch, we headed up Oak street to the trail head of Imogene pass. This trail would take us back to Ouray, so I could finish the trip right. With the friends I have Jeeped with, once we finish Black Bear pass , we have the right to buy the coveted "I survived Black Bear pass" t-shirt. Today was my day to buy Samantha her 1st one. WOW, such a great moment. The girl took on a wild ride and showed it who's boss. Handing her the shirt was a very proud moment in my life. By now it was late and the sun was headed down , so we began the trip back to Grand Junction and called it a day. So, our adventures in Ouray are over, but we take home the satisfaction and memories of one hell of a trip. Jeep on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!