Sunday, June 2, 2013

To hell and back, with a side trip.........

 Buenas burritos and welcome to yet another summer adventure. Today's trip was out to hell, and back. OK, lets simplify this. The trip today was out to the Devil's Playground, thus the reference to hell. The Playground is an area in Box Elder county that had some of the strangest rock formations out there. If I remember correct, the stone is soft granite and Mother Nature has very little trouble shaping it in many odd fashions. I have posted other fotos on here of the area so go back and look at them. The oddest formation out there, that I forgot to take the foto of, is of solid stones with a cobblestone street in the middle of the rock. It is so amazing to see these.... it blows your mind!
 Due to last weeks rain, the area out there was nice and green and the wildflowers were in bloom. There were pink, purple, blue, red and yellow flowers all over the mountain. I took this foto by a mine because I thought it was pretty. Being a desert area, the flowers are not like they are over in Colorado. The whole mountainside can be covered there , while here in our desert state, they pop up in all sorts of places, and there is not as many of them. 
 This is a foto of the hidden cabin. It was built in 1941 by a family and its open for use to anyone who wants to stay there. It's on a first come first serve basis, except for hunting seasons and holidays. There was no one there today when we visited so we hung out for a few and read the guest book. My first entry in it goes back to 2004. I think I have like 5 little scribbles in it. I even read where Sam and Bob found it back in 2011. Even more interesting is the entry from my next door neighbor when I lived in Ogden. It's quite nice for being 60+ years old and it would be a nice place to hang out for a few days. Someday I might just do that. You should too....... if you can find it!
 For those of you who follow this boring blog, you will know what this foto is! For those that don't, this object, according to the state historians office is from the 1940's. I swear I have seen 4 of them , but I may be wrong because I only found 3 today. Anyways, this is a phone booth. There is a little shelf inside where you could write down a message or something like that. There is no visible wires left or anything else that would suggest this was a phone booth. This one is located at Lucin where there was a population of people living up till 1970 or so. The other 2 are out in the middle of nowhere with the only close thing to them are mines some distance away. Those have no wires or anything left either. I find it odd that there are no telephone poles either. My guess is that when they removed the phones, they took everything with it except the little building. 
While at Lucin, we or I decided I wanted to wait by the tracks and shoot fotos of trains. Well, I struck out there because in 40 minutes, not one train came by. As we were waiting, I noticed on top of a signal there was a huge nest. I didn't think anything of it, until we heard noises from the nest. There are 3 baby Ravens in the nest and mom wasn't to happy with us parked so near. She made the one pass and fed one of them and then disappeared to watch from a distance. The babies were squawking so much she gave in and made one more stop. I had the IPhone video going and filmed it the best I could. So, that was our entertainment for 40 minutes while we waited for the train that didn't come. Stupid Union Pacific. It was a great day...... I still need to return and go see a mine we passed by..... who's game?  Jeep on my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!