Sunday, June 7, 2015

Can You Die In Death Canyon?

 What do you think the answer to this question is? We'll discuss it later and see if you are right. Death Canyon is located in the Simpson mountain range in Tooele and Juab counties. It is right at the southernmost tip and the canyon goes north in to the range. This foto above is where the Jeep decided it was done playing. There was an ATV trail available, but there was a good 3 foot drop off I would have had to try to climb out of and with my situation as it is, until I am better, I'm not gonna be too stupid. 
 At the end of our trail, there were 2 mines; one open and one I didn't want to crawl into. So, of course, we opted on the easy entry and went strolling on in. This mine, from what I could find online, has been quiet since before 1980. There were new claim stakes in the area so I am beginning to think that someone has literally "staked their claim." I know, dumb, but you'll just have to get over it. This mine was hard rock for the most part, but there were plenty of support timbers throughout the mine. I wonder where this ladder led to, but I wasn't going up it. This goes back to "explore aware" which is very important when doing things like this. Besides, we were pretty much alone for our trip up the canyon. 3 ATV's passed us going up as we were coming down. This place is really in the middle of nowhere. 
 One of my most favorite things is to find an open mine with ore cart tracks. There is some hope that as I pass through the mine I will stumble onto a pristine ore cart that I can roll out to the entrance and load into a truck and take it home. It has never happened and I doubt it ever will. I do believe there are some cars in a mine at the Devils Playground, but it is caved in and there really is no easy way to re-open it. So, its a fantasy.  
 Mine number 2 was the same. There, in all their glory, was another set of ore tracks! This mine, like the other one, has passages going every way possible. The whole mine seemed interconnected by large open passageways as well as the drifts (area left behind after removing the ore) that seemed to almost make the mine one large room. I found one spot where you could enter an area from the main passageway, through a open hole in the floor and from above in the roof.  
 As you can see in the foto above, there is a ladder leading up into a drift. At the top of the drift is a hole that leads into the next chamber of the mine. The ore veins in these mines go every which way they can. This is very similar to the mines in Eureka. It is not uncommon there for a small hole on the surface that you could fall into and drop hundreds of feet. 
 Being so complicated, with passages going all over, someone took the time to mark the way out with arrows. Due to some claustrophobia, we really didn't get into the mine more than 2000 feet. I would for sure mark the way I went in were I to go back and see how far it does go. 
This is where the tour ended. The tracks going down to who knows where. I think once my heart bypass is done and I have healed, I will return to Death Canyon and finish exploring all the cool stuff there. As to the question..... yes you can. With mine shafts everywhere as well as no help anywhere near, any type of accident could prove fatal. So travel in a group and be sure you are exploring aware.... your life may depend on it!  Jeep on my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!