Thursday, July 6, 2017

3 Days 2 knights the end!

 Monday dawned bright and beautiful and it also meant that this trip was almost over. Since we didn't make it to Winter Quarters Saturday we had decided to try on the way home. Good plan, eh? Well the town was rather quiet on this visit and we had no trouble finding out which road to take to visit the old ghost town. Trouble was, they didn't tell us, it too was locked behind a gate. I am not mad about this tho. It seems that the coal mine that is on the other side of the mountain has reached where Winter Quarters had stopped and that they were going to move coal out both sides. So, yes, I understand. The foto shows what is left of the warehouse from the original town. 
 This is the sign that greeted us upon our arrival at the gate. Like I said, I understand. The town is situated in a nice canyon with a lot of trees and some sort of creek. It would be a nice place to build a cabin there and just relax. The town of Scofield is a nice place too. It isn't a very big town in fact the 2010 census has the population at 23. Since it was a holiday weekend, I would be willing to bet the population was well over 1500. The lake there is fairly good sized and there were a lot of people playing on it. 
 Scofield was a mining town. Coal being the mineral that the town was built around. Some reference the town as a ghost town now, but it really isn't. There are a few old buildings left standing from its beginning in 1879. It's not very big and kind of reminds me of Ophir Utah. The people we ran into were quite friendly and answered any questions I asked. 
 The building above is from the 1920's. There was a plaque that pointed out the various buildings left standing along with when they were built and for what purpose. I swear I took a foto of it but I'm not seeing it. 
 The store above was a "General Merchandise store and I can't make out the guys name on the sign that owned it. I can't believe I didn't take that foto. 
I did save the best for last. This was the public school building. As old as it is, it still looks capable of holding classes this day. The grounds are fairly well maintained and you can only imagine how it would have been to go to school there. I would be willing to bet that winters there are extremely cold. The town sits at 7700 feet and that's pretty high up there. After we browsed the town we decided to go home a different way. We went over the mountain and came out in Fairview Utah. It was new territory for both of us and quite an enjoyable ride. Once we left the mountains and returned to I-15, the reality of the trip being over hit us like the 100 temperature we drove into. Still a lot of exploration to do down in that area. Who knows, I may just head back again and pick up where I left off. Jeep on my friends!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!