Saturday, April 22, 2017

A tail, or a tale, with a twist.

 Welcome to another adventure out to the wild west desert of Utah. The Devil's Playground is full of unique geological formations. I am thinking that the name came from the fact that it is hotter than Hell out there in the summer and the fact that the formations are truly bizarre. Young Wyatt, a nephew, is glancing up into the odd shaped cavity of the rock. If you go back a few years, and I think it was on my Yahoo blog, there is the same foto except its Samantha and she is stuck up in the top. I dared Wyatt to climb up into it but then I remembered that he is accident prone so I withdrew my offer. 
 Throughout the whole area, there are formations that leave you wondering how they came to pass. The above foto shows how weird they can be. How long did it take to erode away the rock to leave this type of result? The area is notoriously dry so it can't be from any running source of water. This leaves us with rain and wind and snow. The big question is how long did it take, and what determined the odd shapes? 
 Back to the first foto. If you enlarge it on your screen, you will notice 2 distinct cobblestone patterns going up the rock. What's really odd is the fact that it is on the front, and then goes inside the hollowed out part and its also on the "roof" for lack of a better word. This cobblestone pattern is all over the place out there. I have pointed it out before in previous blogs, but the fact that it is there is mind blowing. You can actually see on some of the formations that the rocks in the cobblestone look like they were placed there with careful thought, almost as if they were a cobblestone street at one time. Hundreds of rocks, laid with precision. It is mind blowing. 
 I took our guests to one of the mines that is out there. This one was worked in the 70's and still has a lot of junk laying around. I did not do very well in planning this quick trip. Well, I did but I planned wrong. With all the rain we have had and how it was 2 weeks ago out there I figured we wouldn't even be able to make it up to the mine. I was wrong. So, being wrong led to me not bringing my good flashlights. No good flashlight means you can't go into the mine and explore. Damnit. I guess I will just have to break down and buy a really good one and just leave it in the Jeep. I have been in this mine before, but due to physical issues I didn't make it very far. Oh well, I guess that just means I will have to go back and do it again. Sux to be me, Not!
To finish the trip, I took Wyatt to persons house who has way too much money. As you can see, these are not your usual horses you would find in most barns of the west. In fact, you probably would only find this somewhere deep in the African Savannah. Why have a good Quarter Horse when you can own a pair of Zebras. To each his own, I guess. Jeep on my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!