Thursday, May 23, 2013

A day in the sun for fun!

 Finally another adventure that doesn't involve me getting stuck. We headed back up Beaver canyon to see how far we could make it today. The sun was out but it wasn't as warm as it could have been. But that was OK, I don't mind it at all. The trail had some snow down near where I had gotten stuck, but nothing like before. We made it up to the valley where you can choose to go to Preston Idaho or across the the top to  Franklin basin. I chose Franklin Basin and we headed up the canyon.
 This foto shows the snow still in the trees and how deep it still is in the trees. It also shows a beaver condo there in the center. There are so many of them up there and it kinda sucks cuz you never see any of them. I do believe that they are allergic to the sun. The river is full of dams from the start of the trail to where the river starts. I would really love to see some of them sometime. As we headed up the trail to go over to Franklin basin the snow drifts got bigger and bigger. The yellow Jeep did very well blasting thru all of them till we rounded the corner and found no more road. It was buried under a white blanket of slushy snow 2 to 3 feet deep. Since we didn't have the luxury of another vehicle with us , we turned around and headed back down the canyon.

The trip down was uneventful and a breeze for the Jeep. Going down hill thru snow banks is a lot easier due to the law of gravity. As we got back to the bottom of the canyon, the GoPro video camera decided it had had enough. It wouldn't stay on so I had to use the normal camera to catch our friend munching plants. She is named Melanie J Moose and she doesn't look very old. If I remember my zoology studies right, moose spend time with mom from birth till the next years baby arrives. Thus my thinking that she is probably a yearling. She was the 2nd moose we actually saw today. On the way up we saw one in the Logan river. We also saw 2 deer and a young badger today. Needless to say, we had a great time, though it was too short. But then again, most Jeep trips are. Jeep on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!