Tuesday, June 23, 2015

One last hurrah, with a surprise........


 Welcome to the last Jeeping adventure of 2015. With open heart surgery coming up and a Dr. that says no more Jeeping till 2016, I had to have one last adventure. This trip wasn't the one I had hoped for, but I guess I should be grateful for what I got. Originally it was planned for a 4 day trip to Moab. That got scratched and a 2 day 9 mile canyon trip was planned. Strike 2. So, plan 3 had to work and it did. I chose to visit another 3 corner area, this one on the Utah, Wyoming and Idaho border. Unlike the grand-daddy 4 corner area, the 3 corner areas are hard to find and require a good GPS and a Jeep. 
I must admit that today's was kinda marked with a tiny arrow sign that said monument. There was one out on the main road and one showing where to turn off the trail to find it. I had done some research and they gentleman's page I used for a reference was vague and had you walking over 100 yards. Uphill. That was not going to happen. I took Old Yellow up the hill almost to the top. I am damn glad we didn't make it all the way to the top though, there wasn't a whole lot of real estate on top. That could have proved interesting.    

 So, we parked at the bottom and hiked the last 20 yards, uphill, through a blizzard both ways. The monument was not as spectacular as the Wyo-Colo-Utah one, but at least there were directions too it. We got lucky as hell on the previous one. We found it and we weren't even looking for it. So this just leaves 2 more to find. I know how to get to the Utah-Idaho-Nevada one and then after that, the Utah-Nevada-Arizona one will follow. All of them are in no mans land so they should prove to be fun and adventurous.  
The big surprise of the day was this guy. We were in a dry, desert like area and we ran in to Mr. Moose. Now what the hell he was doing here is the big question. Moose are found near water and lots of trees.....a forest. We saw no running water, no trees, and nothing that would give a clue as to why he was here. It is a male, you can see his 2 horns growing, so I am wondering if he was run off from his mom or chased out of an area by a dominant male. We were alone, as usual, so we didn't go into the hills further. Maybe the mountains there get more moose friendly the farther you go in. I don't know. Someday I guess I will have to return and see. Twas a great last trip for the year. Jeep on my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!