Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mud + rain + snow = FUN!

Today was my day to escape. It's been a long 3 weeks since I got to go out in the Jeep and play so, I did it today. Of course the weather folks said it would be a shitty day, and it was. I headed out to Ophir Utah in a rain storm from hell. It was pouring down like crazy. The highway was a wee bit nerve-wracking with all the water on it but I made it OK! The first thing I did was head up Ophir canyon to see how the new campsites turned out and of course, play in the mud. I wasn't disappointed. The road was greasy as hell and a blast to plow thru. While up there, I followed a trail I had never followed before. I left Jeep in 2 wheel drive just to see how it did. It was quite the ride to where I finally decided to turn around.
I came to a turn in the road that was high banked and quite muddy so I stopped to see if I should go on. Well, the moment I stopped the Jeep sunk into the ground about 4". You ought to know that that is not the best feeling to have. I'm up a narrow canyon on an ATV trail in my Jeep. OOPS! I threw the Jeep in 4 high and slammed it into reverse and headed up the side of the canyon wall so I could hopefully turn around. I am so dumb. Why did I ever doubt the Jeep. It pulled itself right out and didn't even flinch. The bottom foto is that stop on the side of the canyon. Notice the snow in the back ground? It was really a heavy rain snow mix at that time so I decided to head down the canyon and go over and see what was up in Dry canyon. The minute I hit the bottom of Ophir , the sun came out and it was rather nice. I headed up the trail to the mouth of the canyon when I noticed the purple flowers. I thought they looked great so I snapped a foto.
I sat out in front of my favorite mine to play in, which is gated shut..... you bastards......and watched the clouds come across the valley. It was so quiet and peaceful, I didn't want to move on but I did. Dry canyon is at best a dry creek bed and then an ATV trail. But yah, we all know I have Jeeped it before so blah blah blah. I went up about 2/3 of a mile , climbed a smaller ATV trail and parked in front of another mine. This one is even higher then the other so I just sat there and listened to some tunes and thought about life. It was nice to sit there, alone, and think about anything and everything. After a few minutes I noticed the storm was coming back in so I headed down and called it a day. I am happy now and think I may have enough in me to make it another week before I go again. Anyone wanna go? Ciao and Jeep on!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a great time! T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like one of the last offers you threw out there about going with you....I want to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous cyber stalker strikes again....T

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous cyber stalker no more...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, in fact I would love to hear your opinions!